Protect your ears. Listen to good music. Ride often. These statements might seem contradictory. With the tendency for us to crank up our iPods to ear-drum blasting levels or to hop on a motorcycle and ride 500 miles, the potential damage to our ears is significant. I’m sure the current generation of iPod toting teens will be rushing to the hearing aid store at a younger age than their parents. But put that aside. I refuse to ride my motorcycle without earplugs. For years I’ve protected my hearing and ears with Westone earplugs. I use specially made custom fit earplugs with changeable attenuation filters when I listen to live music; go to concerts. And when I ride my motorcycle I wear my Westone 40-4 full ear canal custom fit earplugs. Comfortable under the helmet and easy to put in and take out — an attached “cord” helps the removal — they’re the best hearing protection available—period. Foam plugs, silicone, plastic and others are better than nothing. But your best bet, and the safest choice, is a custom fit plug from Westone.
And forthose special long riding days of scenery that doesn’t change where it’s nice to crank up some music to pass the miles away.
I’ve been using Westone hearing protection products for years. The de facto standard for the music, sound reinforcement and recording industry, I wear custom designed audiophile earplugs to concerts and other events. So you can imagine how pleased I was to learn several years ago that they also make custom ear protection for motorcycling and other recreational activities. But my newest revelation is Westone’s CR-1 Custom Earphones (formerly the Motorcycle Headset MH-1) that provides sound isolation and are designed to fit under a motorcycle helmet. I can even wear this headset simply as an earplug, silent without music and it provides quiet wind noise-free riding .
- Ryan Pyle: Tough Rides, Extreme Treks, and the Quest for Uncomfort Podcasts #29 & 30March 27, 2018 - 6:38 am
- Video Tease: Allan’s New TV Show PremiereMarch 13, 2018 - 6:48 am
- Allan’s TV Show Premiere on the Cooking ChannelMarch 10, 2018 - 12:51 am
- WorldRider Travel Show with Allan KarlJanuary 9, 2018 - 8:07 pm
- Yes he does, Chris! And he's got many more so stay tuned...May 27, 2018 - 1:13 am by allan
- Thanks Chris. I appreciate you following the adventures...May 27, 2018 - 12:21 am by Ryan Pyle
- Awesome Debbie! Thank you for tuning inandfor your help...May 13, 2018 - 12:37 pm by allan
- Damn those interviews were great. Ryan has such great s...May 13, 2018 - 3:26 am by Chris MacAskill
adventure Africa Allan Allan Karl America Argentina Argentina Buenos Aires Argentina South America San Martin de Los Andes Argentina Wine Las Balsas Arrayanes Trees Villa La Angostura Argentina Travel BMW BMW Motorrad Bolivia book tour Brazil Calama Car Chile Dakar Events F650GS Gastronomy Mendoza Argentina journey Karl Mendoza Argentina Wine Tasting Travel Motorcycle Mendoza Patagonia Mexico Motorcycle Namibia Ollague Pittsburgh PodCast Allan Karl Argentina Adam Pate presentation Race racing Rally Rwanda slide show South South America South America Chile Bolivia Calama Ollague Allan Karl WorldRider Motorcycle BMW Dakar Vermont Wine Chile South America WorldRider Allan Karl WorldRider WRC